How do I create a Windows 7 Password Reset Disk?
This is critical in the event that forget your log in password or one has been created by another user on the computer. This disk will allow you to recreate the password and subsequently log into Windows.
To create the Password Reset Disk:
- This must be a floppy disk or a USB thumb drive. You may not use a CD or DVD.
- Open Control Panel - User Accounts - Create A Password Reset Disk (in the left pane)
- Follow the onscreen instructions in Welcome to the Forgotten Password Wizard
- Insert the floppy or USB thumb drive before pressing Next
- In the I want to create a password key disk in the following drive screen, select the proper drive letter.
- The Current User Account Password window will open. Type in your current password and press Next.
- The progress bar will be displayed. Once you see the message "You've successfully created a password reset disk for this user account", you may click the Finish button.
- Remove the floppy or USB thumb drive, label, and store in a safe place.