Should I perform regular maintenance on my system like on a car?
To ensure maximum airflow, system stability, long component life, and the overall functionality of your computer, we ask that you take care of your machine by performing the following tasks on a regular basis. You may increase or decrease the frequency with which you perform these tasks as you get to know your system's needs.
WARNING: This procedure requires you to open your system case. When working on the inside of your system, you must take the proper precautions against electrostatic discharge (ESD). Please turn off system before cleaning the machine. It is always a good idea to unplug the power cord from the case before removing the cover.
Use canned air every 2 or 3 months to remove dust from the inside of your case, working from the front to the back. See this article for more information on this process.
There are other steps you can take to maintain maximum performance from your PC.
- Use the Defragment tool on a weekly basis.
- Use the Disc cleanup wizard weekly.
- Run a spyware removal tool such as Spybot Search & Destroy on a monthly basis.
- Run an Antivirus tool such as AVG Anti Virus with real-time protection.
- Every couple of months, check the cables inside the system to ensure they are tightly secured, out of the way of fan blade movement and air flow through the case.
Taking these few extra steps will extend the life of your PC.