How do I change the default location of the My Documents folder from the C or boot drive to a different hard drive?
Individuals with smaller boot drives, such as the Solid State Drives, may be interested in moving folders typically stored on the boot drive to a larger capacity secondary drive. Microsoft provides the following procedures for doing so:
- Create a new documents folder on the D drive.
- Right-click the new folder and click Include in Library > Documents.
- Click Start > Documents.
- Double-click My Documents to show its contents.
- Drag and drop the files to the new folder.
- Press F5 to refresh the view.
- Under Documents Library , click locations.
- Right-click the new folder and click Set as default save location.
- [Optional] Click My Documents and click Remove .