AMD releases video driver updates periodically during the year. These updates are designed to improve performance. When manually updating your video card driver, it is best to perform a clean install of that driver, or removing the existing driver before installing the new. AMD has provided a way to do so in a few easy steps. Here’s how!
- Download the appropriate driver from the AMD website: https://www.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDHomePage.aspx. Beneath the "Search AMD" box, you will see the link "Support & Drivers". Click on it. On the next page, you will need to select the Component Category (Desktop Graphics for PCs, Notebook Graphics for Notebooks), Product line (most likely Radeon HD series), Product Model (check the side of your video card – should start with a 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7) and the Operating system (ex. Windows 7 64-bit, Windows XP 32-bit, etc.) Click on "View results".
- The next page holds the AMD Catalyst™ Display Driver for your system’s video card. The "AMD Catalyst Packages" will be to the front. Click on the top "Download" button, and choose to save the file. Locate the saved driver download, and double-click it to run the application. You will be prompted to choose a destination folder for the driver installation files. Click the "Install" button, as the default location will be fine. Setup will begin once the driver installation files have been copied to the save location. Click "Next" on the Welcome screen.
- The next screen contains the Installation options. Click on the button next to "Uninstall". On the following screen, click on the radio button next to "Custom", and then click "Next." On the next screen, click on the "Select All" button then click "Next". Your screen will go black for a few seconds while the current driver is being removed. This is normal. The uninstall will complete automatically, and prompt you to reboot. Do so.
- Once the system reaches the desktop again, you will need to locate the video driver setup file in order to restart the driver installation. Click on Start, then Computer. Locate the AMD folder, and double-click it to open. Double-click on the Support Folder. Double-click o the next folder (it will have the same name as the driver file downloaded earlier). Finally, double-click on the Setup application to begin the installation.
- Click "Next" on the Welcome screen. The next screen contains the Installation options. Click on the button next to "Install".
- On the following screen, click on the radio button next to "Express", and then click "Next." Accept the license agreement.
- You will be asked to specify the folder to install to. Click the "Yes" button, as the default location will be fine.
Sit back and relax while setup installs the new driver and other components. Your screen will go black for a few seconds while the new driver is being installed. This is normal. You may also be prompted to restart the system once or twice during the process. This is also normal. Once the driver’s installation has completed, click the "Finish" button, and your system will be ready to use.